Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Ms. Miers

I just read Peg Kaplan's post on President Bush's new candidate for the Supreme Court. Peg makes an interesting point that I was actually connecting the dots to when I started looking around at other blogs. What are our favorite success stories about? Are they about the obvious choices making the grade? The best football player being made team captain his senior year? I don't know about you, but I've noticed a trend towards stories about underdogs. That player who is really great, deep down, but has never been given a chance. The small-town mayor that becomes President of the United States. Of course, in the movies, it is all wrapped up in about 2 hours, and we know there will be a happy ending. We don't view life that way. I am stunned by how quickly the conservative mantra has turned to hatred for Bush and everything he stands for. Fiscally - I agree - the man needs to start waking up and smelling the conservative vote. But his nominees for any position have always been staunchly conservative. While Ms. Miers has no track record to speak of, he clearly knows her very well. Can we not wait and see what happens, before assuming she is the evil Democrat in Republican garb?