Thursday, July 07, 2005

Raises for Me

We recently had a vote in our local government for a budget that benefited the poor and destitute (matter of opinion there, mind you) and, incidentally, included pay increases for local government representatives and elected members of state boards.  $10,000 per year raises....hmm....let me think.  If I had to vote for a raise for me of $10,000/year, what would I do?  Wow.  That would be such a tough call.  Should I get an additional $10,000 per year for the same work I always do, or not?
 
The main argument for the raises - or the only one that was in the media - was that they haven't had a raise since the mid-nineties.  Really?  Well, it is true that they haven't had a spontaneous, mindless, irrational raise since the mid-nineties.  They have, however, had cost of living raises every single year, just like the rest of the state and county workers.  Apparently, the tough work they do every day requires more compensation.  So they can now go on their (paid) summer vacation until nearly October, knowing they've got an additional $10,000 of taxpayers' money coming their way, each year. 
 
Chain me up.  Quick.