Wednesday, July 13, 2005

How Much Is That Doggie in the Prison....

Enough to lose some military careers, I'll bet. I was once discussing the United States' status of power in the world with a friend of mine from Ireland. A proud Irishman, he insisted that the US had limited staying power. As a proud American, I defended my country's claim to power. My friend insisted I was wrong, pointing out that we were too young a country, with too little experience, to maintain our stronghold. He had to be wrong; I was sure of it. I have since changed my mind. I unfortunately agree with my friend, and I see our decline as we speak. Today brought yet another example. These dogs were not attacking the prisoners. They were used as a threat, a way to get these people to talk. I'm sorry - we are a wimpy people, with no stomach for violence and war. We will lose our power if this is seen as an atrocity. There is nothing we can do to get prisoners of our enemy to speak. We must give them the finest foods, freedom to practice their religion, and good facilities or else we are committing crimes against mankind. I guarantee our men do not receive any consideration at all when they are taken as prisoners. Perhaps we have not bled enough. When you look at how quickly things have returned to business as usual in Britain, after the bombings less that a week ago.... We can barely figure out what to build at ground zero nearly 4 years later. We better toughen up, folks, if we expect to maintain our status. I doubt that we will.