Monday, June 13, 2005

Breast-feeding Revisited

I know I've addressed this one before, but due to the hullaballoo over the comment Barbara Walters made, I think I'll just sink my teeth into it one more time. There is nothing wrong with breast-feeding, as long as it is done with consideration for others. Make sure you are fully covered. Be discreet. I hear all this "It's sacred and special" crap being bandied about. Yes, it is - and you wouldn't want something sacred and special being bandied about in Wal-Mart or the local mall, would you? I don't want to see a bare breast hanging out and a baby eating from it. But a woman who is covered up and feeding her child? I remember the case where the woman was asked to breast-feed in the bathroom of a restaurant, and not at the table. I don't know the situation, but if that is the restaurant's policy, either follow the rules or eat elsewhere. They have other patrons besides YOU to be concerned about as well.

Another thought, though. When going into certain social or business situations, we dress to impress. When going to visit the in-laws or grandparents, you are probably not wearing your shortest skirt and lowest cut shirt. There is such a thing as decorum and respect for others. No, you can't please everyone, but you can use common sense. I put breast-feeding in the same category as public displays of affection. There are places where these are appropriate - I am a VERY affectionate person. But I am not going to make-out with my significant other in front of his parents. It is not appropriate. When a child is hungry, you can feed them in a discreet way without making others uncomfortable. Your right to feed your child does not mean you lay out a blanket in the middle of the mall and go to. You can find a quiet location, less populated, and have a moment to feed your child. Motherhood does not mean you have the right to do whatever you want, and the rest of world must stand aside.

It is about respect, folks. Something that is poorly lacking the world today. And it goes both ways.