Monday, May 30, 2005

Academic Idealism

As I wind down my 10 year path to my Bachelor of Science in Applied Psychology, the writing requirements have picked up speed. There is rarely a week that goes by without requiring a paper of some kind. Because our classes are limited to five weeks, it often does not give you time to digest exactly what your major writing project should look like. So, the professors frequently give us sample papers: papers they feel equal "A" quality work. I have yet to read a paper that meets the quality of "A" I thought we were supposed to achieve. The grammar is generally atrocious, the spelling is poor, and the sentence structures are based on fragments and run-on sentences. I would never imagine turning in a paper of this quality and expect to get a good grade. Yet this is what we are given to aspire to. Something I write for a Q & A assignment, or even for this blog....grammer is a consideration. But I don't lose sleep over a misspelled word or incorrectly punctuated sentence. For formal papers, (I thought) the requirements should be more stringent. No wonder I have a 4.0 in my senior year. With this kind of competition, my papers are a land-slide for first - even if I haven't a clue what I'm writing about.