Wednesday, March 23, 2005

New News Please

While the Terry Schiavo case is heart-wrenching, I can't help but wonder if I'm the only person who is looking forward to hearing about something else on the news. I found myself feeling guilty for the thought, but then again, why? I've had my thoughts, explored my logic and feelings, and no amount of media spin is going to change my mind (or even Smallholder's excellent spar). I'm ready to move on. She is going to die as no higher power - on earth anyway - is going to do anything about it. At this point, it seems all anyone is interested in doing is getting ratings. My only worry about this situation - obviously, outside of this woman's life - is the precedent of determining the quality of life for someone else. The minute we step onto this terrifying ground, we open up a can of worms we cannot possibly know all the ramifications of....and I'm afraid we have just cracked the lid.