Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The Price of Honesty

I was recently in a situation where I had to determine how valuable another's honesty is to me - vs. their reasons for not telling the whole truth. The situation involves a pretty serious breach of information, which continued for quite some time. The question I have to face is: what is the value of honesty? It is easy to sit and judge from my comfortable perch: all my life, the only serious offenses I've ever committed have been against myself. Without going into detail, I was probably certifiable at one point in my life. However, I have no trail for anyone to follow, and I can tell others only what I want them to know. What if people could go back to those days in which we performed acts and gave into thoughts we were not proud of? If they could lift the images of those days, find footage, and then could lay judgment on us? As I try to determine my feelings regarding this recent development, I try to put myself in someone else's shoes and understand their reasons and fears....while at the same time, holding onto the standards I believe in. Honesty is incredibly important in any relationship, whether it is familial, platonic, or romantic. In any situation, it is what we base our trust and reliance on. However, we judge others on what they tell us, sometimes too quickly. It is that knowledge of how we judge that can hinder the truth. Do we make it impossible for people to be honest sometimes? I think so. While the value of honesty is high, the price can also be steep. If the two were in conflict with you - value vs. price - what would you do? Would you state the facts, and let the cards fall as they may? Or would you let others get to know you, before revealing your embarrassing truths? These are questions that I can't answer for myself right now - I may never have to. But others do, and I am not sure we are always as fair as we think we are - or as easy to talk to as we might like to think.