Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Office Gossip

Gossip is a vicious medium of information. I recently received a newsletter from my union (yes, I'm a member - it is a long story, but I end up paying for it whether I'm a member or not, so I might as well reap the benefits of membership) that suggested that it is a disadvantage to not be privy to office gossip. As I was reading this article, I couldn't help thinking how we easily we justify bad behavior, simply because it has some personal gain. As the topic of office gossip recently, I've been personally insulted by it. Why would someone gossip about little old me, might you ask? Because I reported my supervisor for his constant bad-mouthing of our manager and giving us instructions in direct violation of our manager's orders. In case you haven't guessed, he gave those orders to me, and I ended up doing things that my manager had strictly prohibited us from doing. So now he is spreading around the word that I am a trouble maker, and another woman - who works under him directly and kisses up - is capitalizing on any mistake I make (God forbid I be human). What I don't understand is - it is one thing to talk about someone you don't like. I think we are all guilty of that at one time or another. But then why do you act like their best friend when they are in the room? I am civil to everyone, but if I don't like someone, I'm not going to pretend like I do. And what do you gain by speaking ill of someone? What does that make you? It disappoints me - though it certainly does not surprise me - that our union would uphold being part of, and in effect, contributing to office gossip. Yes, there are some benefits, but just because killing your noisy neighbor might earn you some peace and quiet at night, does that make it right?