Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Music

I've spent the last week or so listening to strictly country music. I tend to be a popular music girl - whatever is on the top 40 is what is on my radio. However, I'm tired of the BS in today's pop music. If it is not a guy "singing" about doing some woman he doesn't know, a girl desperate to be whatever she needs to be to get a guy, or some other unhealthy concept, then it is just lack of talent that is irritating. I grew up on country music - my first celebrity crushes was on Randy Travis and Travis Tritt. However, as an adult, I got away from it. Lately I've found a new affection for it for a couple of reasons. Country music is typically about traditional values. NOT EVERY SONG, but many songs still proclaim the joy of marriage, the importance of family, and the regret for foolish mistakes. Drinking isn't a sin, but drinkin' too much could be. Life is still meant to be lived with good for others in mind. And if you happen to get rowdy on Saturday night....well, you'd best get your butt into church on Sunday. More than that, though, is the blatant patriotism and support for our troops and our country that is nearly impossible to find in popular music. Between Toby Keith, Darryl Worley, and many others, encouraging words for the troops are not only sung and proclaimed in interviews, but taken into the face of the enemy as many of these artists travel to entertain and support our women and men abroad. I like that.