Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Learning the Hard Way

You know when you give advice to people, and you think, "Wow, I'm really smart - listen to that intelligent stuff coming out of my mouth!" And then you get into a situation, and - usually as you are struggling through the tail-end of it - you realize you didn't follow your own bit of brilliance? I spend a lot of time with people, making suggestions and trying to encourage people to make the right decisions. Unfortunately, I seem to have a hard time following that advice myself. I recently got myself in a situation I would have told anyone to avoid, and now, I'm fish-tailing as I try to get out of it. On one hand, I want to do the right thing for me. On the other, I want to be compassionate and un-"w"itch-like. What did I do? Suffice it to say, I tend to think people think like I do. Mind you, I know they do not. But sometimes you think you know people so well, that you imagine they have the same values that you do - and you go on that assumption. Unfortunately, it makes you blind to who they are and their weaknesses. Yes, I know I'm being vague, but that will have to do. Some of you will know what I mean.