Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Going Ape

I am proud to be from the state that is causing this controversy. Apparently Dover Area School District, less than an hour away from me, is teaching intelligent design as a possibility of how the universe came into existence. To Dover, I say - may you win the fight. I believe in evolution. It is the only explanation that makes sense to me. However, I also believe that there was a higher power behind the process. I've had countless "Christians" try to change my mind, but my thoughts, in my opinion, are perfectly compatible with any biblical beliefs you may have. When it comes to theories of how we came into being, there are many: and evolution and creationism are the most wide-spread. Why shouldn't they be taught and discussed? You see, you don't have to be religious to believe in intelligent design. Hell, Darwin believed in God. It is just one more theory to throw into the mix. Instead of resisting teaching it, we should embrace it - how can you ever question and explore our understanding of the world if we only have one theory of how it came into be....and any other ideas are shot down?! I hope the ACLU and the Americans United for Separation of Church and State prove themselves to be the fools they are. This is the school district's decision - a district made up of those that live there and make up the demographic. If the parents in the district have a problem with it, let them fight it. And keep those liberal, clueless idiots in Washington, D.C. where they belong. It is the only place where anybody understands them.