Thursday, December 02, 2004

Enemies of the State

My experience at my state job has been an eye-opening one. I don't know if every state is like this, but in PA, when you mention state workers, most people roll their eyes and some joke about "no work, all pay" is made. Unfortunately, from what I have seen, the truth is not far off. Because I was self-employed, I tend to be a work-aholic, and I am always looking at the bottom line. To sit still and do nothing, or have a gossip conversation while on the clock is beyond me. However, in my bureau, this is common behavior. I have seen entire days go by where several people in my department do little more than complain about their job titles, and e-mail. NO WORK GETS DONE! It is baffling. I, on the other hand, have taken to begging other departments for busy work. And everyone keeps telling me to take it easy, go relax, and don't look too busy - or the management will take advantage of you. Excuse me? I get two 15 minute breaks per day, you are forced to take a lunch....during the rest of the day, the management is supposed to take advantage of my time. Hello?! It is depressing....these people have some of the best benefits around, with paid holidays, leave, training, opportunities for advancement, and job security like most will never know. Yet it is never enough. I guess I'm thankful for my viewpoint, as I would hate to take this incredible opportunity for granted. I'm incredibly thankful for my benefits and paid holidays....something I've rarely had before. I get to cook again! Woohoo! Well, my day is about to start, so I'd better get to work....'tis a lonely road....