Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Value of Life

As I am writing my project presentation for my business ethics course, I visited Peter Singer's web site to attatin some of his ideas. My subject is PETA and ALF, and their actions to protect animals. While I certainly agree with some issues regarding animals right to life, there are many with which I disagree. However, I will certainly never place much stock in Peter Singer's opinion, after reading this interview. I had heard rumor of his stand on babies and disabled people, but this is just ridiculous. One, the right to life depends on someone else's determination of YOUR quality of life. Two, he assumes that if we allow people to kill babies after they are born, they will only do it for good reasons....he states that "most parents" would only do it for appropriate reasons. Good God - if we start relying on the goodness of people's hearts for the preservation of our lives, we will be extinct before the next century. And this is from the Ira W. DeCamp Professor of Bioethics at the University Center for Human Values, Princeton University.