Thursday, November 18, 2004

Birthday

It is my birthday on the 26th of this month. I'll be 27. 27 years on the planet. Makes one examine the path of life. Where have I gone? What have I done? Have I made a difference? In my current state of mind (read: irritated with myself), I have some serious doubts. But I am going to list 27 things I have done - one thing for each year - that I hope, in some way, has made a difference. 1. I was born (Okay, I didn't do this on purpose, but hey, I'm here, aren't I?). 2. I learned to play piano, fiddled around with guitar and flute, and tried to get a recording soundtrack for my vocal talents. 3. I learned to drive - well. 4. I paid off a car (ah, that I had stuck with that car). 5. I made some excellent friends, and far more acquaintances. 6. I learned to waitress and do it well. 7. I worked, starting at age 11. 8. I graduated high school with a very high GPA. 9. I was a godmother to a beautiful little boy. 10. I got married and divorced (still looking for the positives there....). 11. I got counseling for some serious issues I had with my childhood. 12. I am a good friend. 13. I honor my family, even if the courtesy is not returned. 14. I work many jobs to make sure my bills are paid. 15. I have started two businesses - one of which was extremely successful; the other is not as successful....but rewarding in its way. 16. I have taken chances and come back swinging. 17. I have adopted a dog. 18. I have loved many dogs. 19. I have made friends with unlikely people....because I refuse to be limited by what others think. 20. I have graduated a 2-year college with my AA. 21. I have continued my education for nearly 10 years....and still am in school. 22. I have given of myself to others. 23. I think of other people, rather than of myself, on a regular basis. 24. I do not hate God (trust me, that right there is an accomplishment in its self - long story....). 25. I have continued to be open-minded to people. 26. I have maintained a positive attitude and been supportive to those I care about. 27. I have been honest - even when the consequences were not in my favor. Well....for better or worse, there are some things I've done throughout my life. I know, I left out the juicy parts about my wild sex life and intense drug usage. You'll have to wait for the memoirs for those stories. I'm not givin' them away.