Tuesday, October 05, 2004

A Step Back

One would think that the artists out there - those who are actors, musicians, and others of the artistic persuasion - would be beyond blatant sexism. And if it would raise its unattractive head, it would immediately be squelched. No, apparently we move it on up the music charts and hail it as good music. Check out these lyrics by John Mayer, especially the ones that I have italicized:
Daughters I know a girl She puts the color inside of my world She's just like a maze Where all the walls all continually change I've done all I can To stand on the steps with my heart in my hand Now I'm starting to see Maybe it's got nothing to do with me Fathers be good to your daughters Daughters will love like you do Girls become lovers, who turn into mothers So mothers be good to your daughters too Oh you see that skin It's the same shes been standing in Since the day she was him walking away Now she's left Cleaning up the mess he made So fathers be good to your daughters Daughters will love like you do Girls become lovers, who turn into mothers So mothers be good to your daughters too Boys you can break You'll find out how much they can take Boys will be strong And boys soilder on But boys would be gone without warmth for a womans good, good heart On behalf of every man, looking out for every girl You are the god, and you are the weight of the world On behalf of every man, looking out for every girl You are the god and the weight of the world So fathers be good to your daughters Daughters will love like you do Girls become lovers, who turn into mothers So mothers be good to your daughters too
This is moving its way to the top of the charts in the pop category, and plays regularly on the local stations. So now, we have my post from this morning regarding the sissy women at Wells College who are afraid to go up a against a big, bad male....and now we have popular musicians spouting that men can take the abuse, the rejection, the abandonment, but women....well, these poor things are just fragile flowers that must be protected. Wait, is that my ownership papers I see in my mailbox? Women are headed back to being property. And we are shouting and hollering compliments and gratitude at those who are trying to put us there. Aside: Notice the woman in this piece is an emotional mess - no doubt has unresolved issues from her childhood. Then our good Mr. Mayer goes on to describe women as mothers and lovers. So here we are, back to barefoot and pregnant. And men are the gods and weight of the world. Excuse me?? How this song gets any airplay - without any criticism - is baffling.