Saturday, October 09, 2004

Newspapers

I deliver newspapers as one of my many jobs, and some of the publications we "porch" are the USA Today, New York Times, and Wall Street Journal. When our carriers do not show or need a day off, management (that's me, or so I'm told) is resonsible for delivering the papers....accurately. Some of these routes are extraordinarily rural, some are city, some are suburban, and others are a combination of all of the above. It is always interesting, frequently frustrating....however the current political advertising has become invaluable. I'll be quitting my job when the candidate posters come down....it will be too tough to do after that. You see, when I see that I have a USA Today or Wall Street Journal customer coming up, I start looking for houses that have either a) no political slogans or agenda being advertised, or b) a Bush-Cheney sign prominently displayed. (You try reading your house numbers in the middle of the night....or is that you who doesn't have any identifying numbers on your house at all?!) But if it is a New York Times customer, guess what I'm looking for? I have YET to be wrong. 7 times out of 10 (my estimate) they have a John Kerry sign up, on their car, in their window, no doubt probably tattooed on thier forehead. I have NEVER THROWN a New York Times paper to someone with a Bush-Cheney sign. I almost threw a USA Today the other morning, until I saw the John Kerry sign....another glance at my customer list, and I realized I had grabbed the wrong paper. A New York Times was delivered to their driveway....accurate as always (I didn't knock that John Kerry sign down, did I?). Media bias? Ya think?