Thursday, October 21, 2004

Ah, Yes, the Sound of Victory

Truth: I have rarely watched baseball in the last decade. When I was a kid, I would watch it with my grandfather when I lived with my grandparents, and he would explain to me how it all worked. Did I care? Not in the least. I love my grandfather, and to this day, will do anything to make him happy. He is a simple, wonderful man, and this was one of the things he wanted to teach me. So I learned what I could, despite my apathy towards the sport. He has always been a NY Yankees fan, so, in the fashion that most of us choose teams to support, I too rooted for their success. It has been at least 10 years since I watched baseball....if not more. The struggle between the Sox and the Yankees caught my attention a few nights ago. So I stuck with it and watched the last 3 games. I understand the basic tenets of play, and within a few innings it was easy to see who the strong players were on the Sox team. Last night, in an impressive defeat, the best team won. The Sox played a great game, Ortiz was in stride, and the Yankees were a horror. Everyone has a bad day, bad game, etc. Yesterday was the Yankees' bad day. I am afraid the good professor will be disappointed - but the Sox have a new fan. I'll be anxious to watch the world series and catch up with them next season.