Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Thoughts on 9/11

I wanted to post this weekend on 9/11, as so many did. Unfortunately, I did not have time to sit down and sort out my thoughts in order to do so. So these thoughts have been percolating for the last few days. Much thanks to the other bloggers out there who did post on it in a timely manner (!=)). I was listening to a radio broadcast on Friday - specifically the Glenn Beck show - and he offered a reminder to his listeners of what crossed the air waves during the attack. I was out of the country when it happened, so I turned up the radio so I could hear what I had missed. If there was a dry eye by the time it was over, I'd be surprised. If there was a single spirit that was not infuriated yet again at these militant terrorists, I question the strength of your backbone. These were new broadcasts to me, both because I was out of the country and because I rarely watch TV. What struck me though, thankful as I was for the opportunity to hear these snippets of time, was this: Do we need to be reminded? Is there a day that goes by that the 9/11 horror does not affect your life? For me, it is a daily thought. It changed the way I do business, as I now plan for unforeseen events where communication may not be available. I walk carefully in public places and plan ahead for traveling. I pack my pockets with thoughtfulness, wondering if it is okay to carry my small trove of protection in certain places. Bags were searched at a local art festival - and I was not surprised. I watch our freedom to drive our roads, walk our streets, move around buildings, and I don't feel as secure as I once did. I think of those that died that day, and those that die because of that day, and I wonder what genius and influence we have lost - and will never be seen again. I could go on and on. In a generation that has no fear of nuclear weapons, 9/11 struck us, I hope, to the core. I remember the conversation one time, with someone older than me, about whether or not I had fear of nuclear weapons or world domination by another country....were they kidding?! I lived in the U.S. of A.! We're the best, baby!! But we are vulnerable just like anyone else and needed to start living as such. Unfortunately we learned the hard way. I hope it is a lesson that won't need to be reviewed.